Monday, September 7, 2009

An article in the Daily News in Los Angeles

I just read the following article in the Daily News in Los Angeles:

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_13274571?source=rv

The comments tell another story. I haven't forgotten my grandkids in fostercare, it's just that it is very painful to deal with and I am trying to figure out what to do next. I am waiting for my house in KY to close so that I will have the funds to proceed.

In an interesting twist, I received a letter from my grandson's (the one in foster care) great grandmother. I am considering the possibilities of asking her to come out to California from West Virginia and help me raise these kids. We have not always seen eye to eye about things, but I do believe Hillary when she said "it takes a village" to raise kids. I will need all of the help I can get. Maybe I and she have it in us to raise two more kids. Maybe we've learned alot over the years. I know I have. So I am thinking of writing her back to ask her if she would consider coming to California and living with me to raise these kids. She was wonderful with my kids when they were young, and in the letter, if she is being honest, she may welcome the opportunity to be the grandmother and greatgrandmother that she describes her mother to have been (and she was).

I have continued my one hour a week visits with my grandchildren. My son and his wife seem oblivious to the dangers of foster care. I still have not received the "records" alleged about the "hits" on my past on the DCFS data base even though I sent the paperwork back to the County Counsel's Office weeks ago requested this information. I don't believe anything like this exists. Although the SW told me that what she saw in the record was that I was frustrated by my son and my difficulty in handling him at the time was reflected in a report that she had read. And I will admit to that. He was difficult and he is the same son whose children are now in foster care. So maybe it wasn't me.

I have come to believe that the difficulties that two of my sons have in life are genetic. Their father has never fully recovered from these same difficulties, and I've been observing this since 1979. I have also come to believe that people, such as my children's grandmother and my grandson that is in foster care's great-grandmother (same person) and I have more insight into these difficulties because we have now dealt with them for all of these childrens' entire lives. She is an R.N. and so am I and we have seen first hand the outcomes. We may even be experts on these behaviors, although not recognized by any educational institution, we have lived it.

No comments:

Post a Comment